Sponsors

Saturday, March 24, 2012

George Zimmerman: Redefining "Stand Your Ground"


As the events of the recent shooting of Trayvon Martin unfold, the speculations about profiling, racial motivation and self-defense continue to build and evolve. As I look at the specifics of the investigations that are occurring, I have to wonder if most people are overlooking a basic fact that makes a big difference in this scenario; whether George Zimmerman was in danger, or if he put himself in danger.

After listening to the 911 call that Zimmerman made, it is apparent that he was in no immediate danger at all. During the course of the phone call, against the wishes of the 911 operator, Zimmerman began to pursue Martin. Now I don't know where most of you may be from, but where I come from, that is chasing danger. Let's be realistic here. If Martin flees the scene, for whatever reason, and Zimmerman pursues him, that means Zimmerman has taken the law into his own hands and has now stepped outside of the Stand Your Ground laws. If Martin did turn on Zimmerman at some point in the chase, most likely to defend himself from a pursuer and possible attacker, then Zimmerman put himself into danger. Though I do find it hard to believe that Zimmerman was in much danger since he was carrying a gun.

The true injustice here is, this solidifies the worries of lawmakers about citizens taking liberties with gun ownership. Zimmerman had every right to own that gun. He had a right to carry it. But he does not have the right to chase another person down, create an altercation and then shoot in "self-defense". This is not what the Stand Your Ground legislation was about.

No comments:

Post a Comment